The 5 Best Fixed-Blade
Knives of 2018
MTech USA MT-20-35 Series Fixed-blade Knife
Whether you want to use it for hunting, self-defense or even hobby work, this fixed-blade knife is great for just about anything
Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B 9in Stainless Steel Fixed-blade Knife
The perfect blade that ensures convenience, portability, and durability – it ticks all the right boxes
Gerber StrongArm Fixed-blade Knife
You won’t think twice about spending a bit more on this beauty that will outperform any other fixed-blade knife easily
SOG GB1001-CP Gambit Fixed-Blade Knife with Sheath
Great design makes for great performance and this is what you’ll get with this nifty lightweight fixed-blade knife
CIMA High Hardness Full-Tang Outdoor Survival Fixed-blade Hunting Knife
Perfect for any outdoor use including camping and hunting, the razor-sharp blade and comfortable handle won’t disappoint
1. MTech USA MT-20-35 Series Fixed-blade Knife
If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a fixed-blade knife for your hunting expeditions, look no further than this little number. It is durable and will get any job done with little effort.
This knife is perfect for any hunting or hiking expedition, and can even be used for self-defense. If you are into carving you will also be happy to know that the sharp blade will be excellent for doing hobby work too. This product is worth consideration.
- Black plastic handle with lanyard included
- The black plastic handle is 16 mm thick
- The complete length of the fixed-blade knife is 8 inches
- Nylon sheath included in the purchase
- Black drop point full-tang blade is about 3 inches and 3 mm thick
|The black plastic handle is comfortable and can be attached to a lanyard|
|Full-tang design means it is durable and will last a lifetime|
|The handle could be a bit too short and inconvenient|
2. Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B 9in Stainless Steel Fixed-Blade Knife
Arguably one of the best brands in hunting and fixed-blade knives available in the market today, you can expect nothing but perfection from the Smith & Wesson Stainless Steel fixed-blade knife. Whether you want to buy it as a gift for your hunting buddy or use it for self-defense – you won’t regret investing in one of these.
You get a sheath with the knife that allows you to carry it with you in your belt or your boot for added convenience while out hunting. The blade is also double edge and boasts a perfect blood groove which makes it one of the best for your next hunting trip.
- Wrapped handle and handguard makes for ease of use
- Purchase includes a leather sheath with a sturdy belt clip to easily carry with you on all your hunting trips
- Handle includes a lanyard hole for added convenience
- 7Cr17MoV High Carbon S.S. blade with a length of 4.7 inches
- The blade is dual edge and includes a blood groove
|This fixed knife blade is thoroughly tested which means you can rest assured that it is top-quality and won’t let you down|
|Portable with ease of access by attaching it to your boot or belt with a durable sheath|
|Previous buyers have found the knife not to be as durable with minimal faults in the design|
3. Gerber StrongArm Fixed-Blade Knife
The Gerber StrongArm is is another excellent buy but could be pricey for what you get. It does, however, feature loads of extras such as a super sharp pommel at the bottom of the handle that will allow you to crack rock hard surfaces.
It is light and convenient to carry, and the sheath’s modular design allows you to strap it in whatever position suits you best. For a great performing knife, you will love the Gerber Strongarm as it is built to last with 420HC steel and ceramic coated.
- The fixed-blade has a fine edge and made of full tang 420HC steel
- The blade is coated with ceramic – ensuring longevity and durability
- Rubber grip ensures the knife is easy to handle
- Pommel included at the base of the handle will allow you to break or crack any hard or rough surface
- Sheath included in the purchase is modular and will allow you to strap it on horizontally or lengthwise – whatever suits you best.
|Multiple carry options allow you to attach it to your belt or boot in such a way that is convenient and comfortable to you|
|Strong and durable with impressive full tang design|
|Blade grind can be uneven and would need some time to get the grind on the edge consistent|
4. SOG GB1001-CP Gambit Fixed-Blade Knife with Sheath
Don’t let the size and weight of this fixed-blade knife fool you – weighing a mere 2.8 ounces; it still packs a punch and is a good buy when you are looking at value for money. You won’t have any trouble when out hunting as you can comfortably grip it backward or forwards.
The weight and design make it compact and easy to carry with you, and the blade is sharp and can still get any work done while hunting. You get a limited lifetime guarantee when buying this fixed-blade knife from SOG, meaning you can expect it to roll with the punches and perform as you would expect from any other top-rated fixed-blade knife.
- Only weighs about 2.8 ounces making it portable and convenient for hunting or hobbies
- A hard nylon sheath is included in the purchase
- Nylon handle is glass-reinforced adding to the sturdiness and longevity of the fixed-blade knife
- Features a sheepsfoot blade of 2.6 inches
- The knife is a total length of 7.3 inches and the design makes it comfortable to grip backward or forward
|The bent design makes it comfortable to grip backward and forwards|
|The very lightweight feature of the fixed-blade knife makes it portable and easy to carry with you on any hunting expedition|
|The handle is a bit narrow and short which can make it difficult to work with if you have big hands|
5. CIMA High Hardness Full-Tang Outdoor Survival Fixed-Blade Hunting Knife
You will love the absolute comfort the micarta textured handle provides – it does not only make gripping the knife while carving comfortable, but it also protects the knife and is wear-resistant and non-slip. The blade is just as good as any in this price range available on the market.
The full tang design and 7CR17MOV steel used to make it ensures durability – you will be using this fixed-blade hunting knife for the rest of your life on all your future hunting expeditions. The knife is also convenient and very portable with a lightweight design and blade size of 34 inches and 8.46-inch overall length.
- The blade is made from 7CR17MOV steel and is a full tang hunting knife
- Purchase includes an ABS sheath with belt clip ensuring comfort and ease while hunting or camping
- Textured micarta handle ensures the knife is comfortable to grip and is also wear-resistant and non-slip
- Blade length and thickness: 8.46 inches x 0.177 inches
- Suitable for any outdoor activity such as hunting or camping, or even carving wood
|The handle is non-slip and textured ensuring comfort when using the knife in the outdoors|
|Sheath received with the purchase includes a belt clip|
|The sheath is a bit unpractical and could wear quickly, not keeping the blade in position|
Sign up for our newsletter today!
To ensure that you receive all the latest and most significant news and reviews on all your hunting gear, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter where you will receive exciting new information right in your inbox.
How to Select the Best Fixed-blade Knife for Hunting
Not sure what features to be on the lookout for when buying a fixed-blade knife for your hunting expeditions? Of course, there are loads of options available on the market, and it can get a bit overwhelming if you have to screen every single one of them.
But, before you start doing that, read our insightful buyer’s guide that will help you identify aspects and features of the perfect fixed-blade knife that will make your hunting experiences even more enjoyable. We’ve tried and tested some of the best and know what you should be looking for before buying a fixed-blade knife.
Firstly, you need to know exactly how much you are willing to pay for a fixed-blade knife for hunting. Having an idea of what you want to spend will already give you an idea of what you can afford, and you will be able to identify knives with properties and feature that suits your needs and budget more efficiently.
Blade: Material and Sharpness
If you are buying from Amazon, it is best to take a look-see at what other buyers have said about the product. The blade should be sharp even when you just receive it. The material used to make the edge will also give you a pretty good idea of the longevity of the blade and whether you will be able to use it for a long time to come.
If you are looking at buying a fixed-blade knife, you should try to get one that includes a sturdy and comfortable sheath. Having a great sheath will ensure you can easily transport the blade and attach it to your belt or boot while out in the field, or at home doing chores. A fabulous sheath can sometimes make or break a great knife.
Size and Maneuverability
Consider the size, weight, and maneuverability of the knife. These things will give you an indication of whether you will be able to carry it with you easily, and whether handling it will be comfortable – knives with short or small handles don’t perform well on hunting excursions.
Style and Design
The style and design will play a role in how you will be able to use it. Some models and techniques are not great and convenient for hunting purposes and only useful for outdoor activities, whereas some designs have room for versatility and can work well in any situation or grip you have to apply.
You’ll also need to decide whether you want the knife to last for years to come or just need one for a trip. Materials used to make the blade and handle with should be sturdy and offer you more than enough regarding performance when buying an excellent fixed-blade knife for hunting pleasure.